Our client was at her place of work on the day of the accident, and was asked to open several letters and packages that had been received from customers.
Upon opening one of the packages, she found a bottle inside which was sitting at an angle. The bottle was marked as bleach.
Our client straightened the bottle as it was leaking and some of the contents spilt onto her right hand and wrist. Within seconds, the area of skin in contact with the contents became painful and felt like it was burning.
The substance within the bottle was hazardous to health within the meaning of the Control Of Substances Hazardous to Health regulations (COSHH).
As a result of this situation, our client suffered personal injury.
Chemical burns to our client’s right hand, which caused nerve damage.
How Hayward Baker Helped:
One of our Personal Injury Specialists Michelle Higgins made the claim through the low value Personal Injury Claims online portal.
The defendant’s insurer responded after looking into the claim and informed Michelle that liability was denied. However, Michelle was provided with several witness statements in favour of our client’s claim.
Medical reports from a Psychologist and a Physician further proved that our client’s injuries were indeed due to her employer’s neglect; they did not provide our client with suitable protective clothing as stated in the Personal Protective Equipment Regulations 1992 and the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992.
As a result of the personal injury, our client needed psychotherapy and 12 sessions of CBT (Cognitive behavioural therapy), which was organised by the team at Hayward Baker.
Michelle drafted a schedule of out of pocket expenses (Special Damages) for our client to include travel expenses to and from medical appointments, medical expenses, and loss of earnings.
Once Michelle had sufficient medical evidence and full details of all of our client’s losses due to the accident, she started to negotiate a fair settlement with the defendant solicitors.
Our client’s claim finally settled in full for £9,600.00.