A firm that manufactures adhesive tape has been fined after a 19-year-old employee severed his thumb in an accident on the job.
The worker, who has asked not to be named, had been working at the facility owned by Latrave Ltd for just three weeks when the incident occurred.
During a training exercise to fix a known problem on a running printing press, his hand was dragged between two rollers. The worker was airlifted to hospital where part of his thumb was amputated.
He still requires physiotherapy, and the injury has prevented him pursuing many of his hobbies outside of work.
A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found the guard was missing from the machine in question, and that the training was being carried out in an unsafe manner.
Latrave Ltd was found guilty of breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined GBP 8,000 and ordered to pay full costs of GBP 14,736.
After the hearing, HSE inspector Mark Austin said companies need to make sure all guards are in place on their machines to prevent accidents at work.
Posted by Trevor Baker