Care homes have been reminded that they may face fines and injury compensation claims if they do not ensure the safety of their dependents, after a disabled teenager was hurt at an Oxfordshire home and subsequently died.
Yelena Hasselberg-Langley, 18, suffered severe burns after she was lowered into an excessively hot bath at a home in Owens Way in Oxford.
The teenager, who was paraplegic, epileptic and registered blind, was taken to hospital and transferred to a specialist burns unit, but later died from her injuries.
Lifeways Community Care, which runs the home, was fined GBP 100,000 by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and ordered to pay costs of GBP 45,000.
"HSE has extensive, freely available guidance on how the risk of scalding can be controlled," commented HSE inspector Nina Judkins.
"If this guidance had been followed then this tragedy would not have happened."
It follows news that a Liverpool plastics recycling company has been fined GBP 2,500 after a worker had four fingers severed by an unguarded guillotine.