Company director fined after accident at work

The director of a Totton-based company has been fined GBP 2,000 and ordered to pay costs of GBP 2,451 after an employee suffered serious burns in an accident at work.

A 29-year-old worker was asked to cut the top off an unused propane gas tank at the director’s home with a disc cutter.

The equipment ignited flammable gases, causing the worker to suffer burns on his left arm, torso and abdomen, resulting in three weeks off work.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found the gas tank had not been emptied and made safe.

West Hampshire Magistrates’ Court heard that Jamie Thomas Jewell, 40, director of Suffix Pre-cast Ltd was out of his depth with the work.

He pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act. 1974 and was prosecuted as an individual under Section 37 of that Act.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Ray Kelly said the incident should never have happened, and it was lucky that the worker was not killed when the gases ignited.

Posted by Verity TaylorADNFCR-2070-ID-801360397-ADNFCR

Company director fined after accident at work

This website uses cookies to give you the best experience. Agree by clicking the 'Accept' button.

call now 

01329 227974