An animal bedding company has been fined more than GBP 20,000 for an incident in which a migrant worker fell into a shredder.
The Polish employee had been working for Snowflake Animal Bedding at its manufacturing plant in Boston, Lincolnshire.
In January 2007 the employee was standing on a conveyor belt that fed hay bales into the shredder but when a bale fell apart, he fell into it.
Although he managed to pull himself out, he suffered serious injuries to his wrist, hands, hips and feet and needed a number of skin grafts.
At Boston Magistrates’ Court on Monday, the company was fined GBP 13,300 and ordered to pay full costs of GBP 8,655 for the incident.
Snowflake Animal Bedding was also fined a further GBP 3,400 after admitting health and safety breaches relating to training for fork-lift truck drivers.
Prosecuting, Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Judith McNulty-Green said: "The sad thing is that these injuries could have been so easily prevented."
The HSE has also recently reminded firms about the importance of ensuring employees work at height in safety.