A company has been fined GBP 3,000 after one of its workers suffered an electric shock while at work.
Ben Roberts, 21, was helping to move a saw, which was not switched on, before his colleague at Hickman Engineering Ltd cut a length of metal handrail.
He still suffered an electric shock from the piece of machinery, which was found to have a faulty cable that had been unsuitably repaired with tape.
Mr Roberts was taken to hospital suffering from burns to his legs, chest, fingers and wrist.
Such an accident at work could result in an injury compensation claim being launched but, at this time, Mr Roberts’ employers have only been fined by the Health and Safety Executive.
Earlier this month, Leeds City Council was fined GBP 10,500 following an electric shock that severely endangered the life of one of its employees.
The worker was driving a wagon on the council’s Red Hall Estates landscape construction storage site in Shadwell, when he lifted the tipper body of his vehicle directly underneath a power line.
Posted by Alison Spriggs