The directors of a decorating company have been prosecuted after a work injury left one of its employees brain damaged.
Trevor Dawson, 58, was working for Liversedge Decorating Contractors at Ashenhurst Student Village in Newsom when he apparently fell from a ladder, although there are no witnesses to confirm what happened.
He is unable to recall the details of the incident because of the head injuries he sustained.
Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector David Stewart said that Mr Dawson should not have been using a domestic stepladder for the work he was doing, as a tower scaffold would have been much more appropriate.
"In this instance, individual directors of a company were found guilty for not planning and supervising the work properly," he added.
It follows news that Bluechip Hotels in Newquay has been fined GBP 3,000 after HSE inspectors raised concerns about blocked walkways and unsafe working at height.