Electrical burns result in fine for firm

Electrician George Roberts suffered severe burns in an industrial accident in December 2010.

An investigation into the incident was launched by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) after Mr Roberts suffered burns to his face, hands and arms while carrying out a routine check on connections at an electrical substation.

Dundee Sheriff Court was told the employee of McGill Electrical had been issued with inappropriate safety wear for the procedure, with his colleague stating the accident happened extremely quickly – he noted a loud bang followed by a blackout at the substation, with the area then filling with smoke.

McGill Electrical was fined GBP 2,000 after pleading guilty to a breach of Section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

HSE inspector Mac Young commented after the hearing: “This incident was wholly preventable. It was foreseeable that a metal plate being manipulated in close proximity to live conductors could inadvertently touch live parts and cause a flashover.”

Posted by Verity TaylorADNFCR-2070-ID-801664764-ADNFCR


Free No Obligation Advice

If you’ve been involved in an accident or suffered an injury, you probably have many more questions than answers.  Contact Hayward Baker on 01329 227 986 or complete our On-Line Form today to discuss the potential for a Personal Injury Claim.

Have you suffered an injury in the workplace?

You may be entitled to claim compensation.


Electrical burns result in fine for firm
Scroll to top