Falling fireplace almost kills toddler

A high street store has been ordered to pay fines and costs totalling more than GBP 30,000 and may face injury compensation claims after a toddler was almost killed by an unsecured fireplace.

The two-year-old girl was in the furniture department of a Laura Ashley shop in Norwich with her father when the incident occurred in August last year, the Advertiser reports.

A marble fireplace weighing 31kg fell over on the young girl without her touching it, causing a skull fracture and brain haemorrhage.

Fortunately the toddler made a full recovery, although doctors are concerned that she may yet suffer late onset mental damage.

The family are now likely to launch an injury compensation claim against Laura Ashley after it admitted to failing to take the proper precautions to prevent the incident from happening.

It follows news that the family of a toddler mauled by a dog at a Cumbrian hotel have been awarded a GBP 25,000 injury compensation payout.ADNFCR-2070-ID-19359674-ADNFCR

This website uses cookies to give you the best experience. Agree by clicking the 'Accept' button.