A family has made a compensation claim after one of their relatives contracted a superbug and died in hospital.
Rose Teresa Reid, 83, died in Craigavon Area Hospital in 2008, but had previously been treated at Mid Ulster and Antrim Area hospitals, the Belfast Telegraph reports.
Mrs Reid’s death certificate lists the primary cause of her death as sepsis or blood poisoning associated with the superbug Clostridium difficile.
Her family issued a writ claiming damages from the Northern Trust, which manages the hospitals, on Friday (June 4th).
"It was an unpleasant end, she suffered terribly. I know the inquiry is hoping to answer questions and stop anything like this happening again," Siobhan McGuigan, Ms Reid’s daughter, told the newspaper.
A spokeswoman from the Northern Trust said she could not comment on the case.
Last month, Great Western Hospitals NHS Trust was fined GBP 75,000 after a patient died having being given the wrong drug.
Posted by Alison Spriggs