A pet food company in Cumbria has faced financial penalties after three employees suffered work injuries in an offal cooker explosion.
Alba Proteins in Penrith was fined GBP 20,000 for an incident in 2007 in which three people were hurt while trying to clear a blockage in the industrial cooker, which regularly reached temperatures of up to 120 degree Celsius.
All of them suffered severe burns and one sustained a fractured wrist when large volumes of steam and offal exploded through the inspection hatches.
"These three men were seriously injured because Alba Proteins didn’t have basic safety procedures in place for dealing with blockages, despite there being three similar blockages in the past," commented Health and Safety Executive inspector Steven Smith.
A pet food firm in Northamptonshire was recently fined GBP 100,000 and ordered to pay over GBP 28,000 in costs after a worker was crushed to death by a palletising machine.