Hundreds of British holidaymakers who fell ill at a Dominican Republic resort have received more than GBP 2.5 million in compensation.
The 500 tourists were among more than 1,000 struck down with an illness at the Bahia Principe San Juan resort between January and August 2007.
According to lawyers, UK travel operators Thomas Cook and My Travel kept flying Britons out to the resort after salmonella and E Coli had broken out.
Clive Garner, head of international travel litigation at Irwin Mitchell, said: "This was an astonishing outbreak at a hotel which should have offered its guests a dream holiday in the Caribbean.
"It was a comedy of errors from start to finish, but one which was not funny for anyone caught up in it."
The settlement is thought to be one of the largest in legal history.
Among those compensated were Lindsey and Chris Peddler from Manchester who won GBP 10,500 in damages after contracting food poisoning at the resort on their honeymoon, the Manchester Evening News reports.