Landlords have been warned that they may face fines and injury compensation claims from their tenants if they fail to keep gas appliances in a safe condition.
The warning comes after Ilkley landlord Helen Jayne Beckett was fined GBP 1,000 and ordered to pay GBP 1,500 in costs after failing to heed an improvement notice regarding one of her properties.
Ms Beckett has failed to ensure that a gas fire in a rented property in Cleethorpes had been checked for safety, in spite of being warned to do so by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) last year.
"These measures are in place for a reason because if left unchecked, faulty gas appliances can have devastating consequences," commented HSE inspector Steven Kay.
"This important legislation needs to be taken seriously by landlords to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning or even death."
A Cambridgeshire landlord was recently jailed for 16 months after he was found guilty of four charges of contravening gas safety laws.