Man fined for putting customers at risk of gas-related injury

A man has been fined for putting his customers at risk of gas-related injury.

Michael Huggins, of Warmley, Bristol, is not registered with the safety body CORGI, but fitted a gas fire at a domestic property in Filton, Bristol, in 2008.

The fire was later found to be defective, so the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) decided to prosecute.

Mr Huggins was made to pay GBP 800 but this figure could have been much higher if someone had fallen ill and made an injury compensation claim.

North Avon Magistrates Court also ordered him to pay GBP 200 in costs.

“Carrying out work on gas installations without being a member of the registration body, which is now the Gas Safe Register, is dangerous and illegal,” said HSE inspector Nigel Long.

Back in June, Dermot Healy, trading as D Healy Plumbing and Heating, of Ashfield Avenue, Bushey, Hertfordshire, was fined GBP 500 after he carried out some illegal gas fitting work in Edgware.

Posted by Trevor Baker
 ADNFCR-2070-ID-800018272-ADNFCR

This website uses cookies to give you the best experience. Agree by clicking the 'Accept' button.