Man set on fire wins GBP 4k in compensation

A man who was set on fire in an accident at work has been awarded GBP 4,000 in injury compensation.

George Forbes, 62, of Nigg, Aberdeen, was working for Graeme W Cheyne (Builders) Ltd when the incident took place on November 11th 2008.

He was refurbishing flats on Holburn Street in the city and attempted to move a redundant electricity power supply, known as a fuse cut-out.

However, this was still actually live and connected to a 415-volt cable when he touched it.

A small explosion was created and Mr Forbes' clothing set alight.

Graeme W Cheyne was also fined GBP 9,000 on top of having to pay compensation to Mr Forbes.

"It's lucky Mr Forbes was not electrocuted or more seriously hurt when the 415-volt cable blew up in his face in what was an entirely avoidable incident," said Health and Safety Executive inspector Liz Standen.

Back in July, 22-year-old Sarah Stone from Leicester made a compensation claim against her city's council after her son was electrocuted by a damaged lamppost.

Posted by Wayne Weir ADNFCR-2070-ID-800051900-ADNFCR

This website uses cookies to give you the best experience. Agree by clicking the 'Accept' button.