A Chester gardening firm has been prosecuted by the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) after a member of staff suffered serious burns in an incident in July 2013.
Warrington Crown Court heard how a 31-year-old employee of Greenstripe was given petrol and a lighter and told to burn waste vegetation at scrubland on Parkgate Road.
As he did so, the petrol caused an explosion that threw the individual to the ground and in the process saw him suffer burns to his face, throat, body, arms and hands.
HSE inspector Deborah Walker commented: "There was absolutely no need for the vegetation to be disposed of in this way, putting the lives of workers in danger. It could easily have been taken to a nearby waste site without the risk of employees being injured."
Greenstripe pleaded guilty to a single breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined GBP 23,000. The firm was also ordered to pay prosecution costs totalling GBP 9,682.
Posted by Verity Taylor