The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) has successfully prosecuted a breaker company after a young member of staff suffered burns to 25 per cent of his body.
A hearing at Redhill Magistrates’ Court took place this week (July 22nd) and revealed how Grublogger allowed a 15-year-old member of staff to use a makeshift incinerator consisting of an old skip to burn unwanted pieces of cars. The firm failed to carry out a proper risk assessment and even used petrol siphoned from the vehicles to start the blaze.
The unnamed youngster suffered serious burns to his face, neck, chest and arms.
HSE inspector Andrew McGill commented: “Young people need careful management and proper supervision in the workplace, with the onus on dutyholders to provide additional protection because they inherently lack experience and maturity.”
He added the accident was wholly avoidable and should never have been allowed to happen.
The company was fined GBP 23,000 and ordered to pay prosecution costs of GBP 5,113.
Posted by Trevor Baker
Free No Obligation Advice
If you’ve been involved in an accident or suffered an injury, you probably have many more questions than answers. Contact Hayward Baker on 01329 227 986 or complete our On-Line Form today to discuss the potential for a Personal Injury Claim.
Thinking of making a claim for an accident?
You may be entitled to claim compensation.