A national malt company has been fined GBP 8,000 after an accident at work resulted in an employee losing part of his leg.
Derek Kinmond had part of his left leg amputated after he became entangled in machinery inside a grain silo, while trying to repair it.
An investigation carried out by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that although Pauls Malt Limited had safety measures in place for working inside silos, they were not safe.
Perth Sheriff Court heard that the site manager was on long-term leave, but no review in the company’s system of work had been carried out, leaving Mr Kinmond to authorise his own work.
After the hearing, HSE principal inspector Peter Dodd said: “If Pauls Malt Ltd had ensured that there was a competent person on site to authorise and oversee the work being undertaken to empty the grain silo, then this incident would not have happened.”
A Shropshire firm was recently fined GBP 14,000 after an accident at work led to an employee losing the fingers and thumb on his right hand.
Posted by Wayne Weir