The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) has prosecuted a Hartlepool-based food ingredients company after a member of staff suffered serious injuries when they were scalded by hot cleaning solution.
Hartlepool Magistrates' Court heard how 38-year-old Elver Alicarte was working for Kerry Ingredients (UK) at the time of the accident. He had been tasked with cleaning a large cooking vessel when a co-worker opened an outlet valve that poured scalding cleaning fluid over his right forearm.
HSE inspector Jonathan Wills commented: "The activity that Mr Alicarte was involved in was a frequent process and the company should have properly assessed the risks involved in the task and put simple control measures in place to prevent injury."
Kerry Ingredients (UK) pleaded guilty to breaches of Section 3(1) of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 and regulations 8(1) and 19(3) of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.
The company was fined GBP 15,000 for its failings.
Posted by Wayne Weir